The Flight Instructor Rating allows you to teach others to fly. You will endorse students to go solo, to take the knowledge test and, ultimately, to take the practical test for a certificate or rating. As a CFI, you are recognized by the FAA and the industry as a true professional who has the knowledge, experience, and dedication to help develop the next generation of helicopter pilots.
Most professional pilots have gained valuable experience during their time as instructors; and in this industry, it is one of the most common ways for relatively low-time pilots to build hours toward their careers. Some CFI’s enjoy the job so much that they make a career out of teaching.
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Be able to read, speak, write, and understand the English language.
Steps to get a Certified Flight Instruction (CFI) Rating
- Hold minimum 3rd Class medical certificate.
- Pass an Aeronautical Knowledge written test.
- Pass a Fundamentals of Instruction written test.
- Pass an oral, and flight test (practical test) given by an FAA examiner.
Part 61 Requirements:
- Dual: No specific FAA flight or ground minimums required just so the applicant has received the appropriate training of 61.187. However hours listed are typical for completion of rating.
- PIC: 15 hours as PIC in the category and class of aircraft for the flight instructor rating sought if not already rated in that particular aircraft.
Schweizer 300C rental: 15 hours @$330/hr: $4,950
Ground Training: 40 hours @$40/hr: $1,600
Books and Supplies: $100
FAA Written Test: $150
FAA Examiner Fee: $800
Total Cost: Typically about $7,400-$9,000
Note: Our prices are subject to change without prior notice. The CFI course is structured and based on the average number of hours a typical student might finish the course since there are no minimum requirements for the CFI rating. It is not guaranteed you will complete the training in the average number of hours. Again, there are no minimum hours required by the FAA for the CFI. Above are the average hours a typical student may need to finish the course.